Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nina and Nicholas

If Nicholas Kirkwood is the king of architectural avante-garde design, then Olivier Theyskens for Nina Ricci is surely the Prince of ethereal edginess.

Unfortunately(?), this last fall 2009 RTW collection for Nina Ricci is the signature finale for the Brussels born Theyskens. The young designer, a design school drop out, launched his own line in 1997, had Madonna to wear one of his gowns for the 1998 Academy Awards, and then was forced by economic woes to shut down. Then in 2002, Theyskens went on to further develop his design expertise as creative director for Proctor and Gamble's fashion division, Rochas. But once again, he was forced out after Proctor and Gamble discontinued this division in 2006. A mere four months later, he joined Nina Ricci for a shot at commercial success.

I like how Theyskens combines sharply tailored lines with soft flowing femininity. His leather jacket is less biker chick and more glam rock with a touch of goth. Still, paired with a flowing chiffon number, or soft, loose fitting pants, the look is both edgy with a chic, tough girl sensibility--I'm beautiful and feminine, but if you say the wrong thing, there could be trouble.

With each collection, Theyskens has given us fashion forward, yet very wearable designs (except for maybe the sheer dresses with see-through tops). I can't wait to see what his next move will be.

And...

As you well know by now, I heart Nicholas Kirkwood. The 28 year old British shoe designer, is definitely the hot topic these days, and with good reason. Having collaborated with such notables as Chloe', Phillip Lim and Rodarte, the young designer is now creative director of accessories at Pollini.

If I may be so bold, Kirkwood is just as easy on the eyes as his shoes. I enjoy looking at him about as much as I do his designs. A true tastemaker, Kirkwood takes his footwear to new heights with every collection. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the high priest of stilettos is about to launch his first flat shoe. How different is that? Can't wait to see it.

Today I'm showcasing a few more of his architectural masterpieces. So let's just sit back, on a lazy Tuesday afternoon and feast on the eye-candy of Nina and Nicholas.


Olivier Theyskens for Nina Ricci
Spring 2009 RTW
Style.com



Olivier Theyskens for Nina Ricci
Fall 2009 RTW
Style.com



Nina Ricci
Stiletto Bootie
Style.com



Nina Ricci
Iridescent Metal and Crystal Necklace
w/black feather detail
Style.com



Nina Ricci
Black Suede and Candy Stripe
Lace up boot
Style.com



Nicholas Kirkwood and one of his amazing designs
Style.com


Nicholas Kirkwood
Lizard Suede Patent Leather Bootie
Style.com



Nicholas Kirkwood
Lizard Pump
Style.com



Nicholas Kirkwood
Suede and python sandal
Style.com



Nicholas Kirkwood
www.nicholaskirkwood.com

13 comments:

Giovanna said...

Olivier Theyskens is one of my favorite fashion designers!! I love his style and I think he's an artist! These shoes are great! Very fashion forward and inspiring! thanks for sharing them with us!
Have a lovely day and thank you for your sweet comment ♥
xxx
Giovanna

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

there you go again!! what in the world are you trying to do Cheryl!!! OMG!!! This is just crazy wonderful. Something is missing and you need to tell me why???? You know what I mean??? Love you Boo!

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-hope you are keeping well my dear!! A superb post, they are both such fabulous designers and these picks are just awesome!

Leigh said...

I could definitely see myself with those Nina Ricci pieces!!

& Olivier Theyskens is such an inspiration beyond words..

I hope you are having a wonderful week and thank you for these inspirational posts. :)

YUKO said...

We've had some beautiful Nicholas Kirkwood pumps (and of course others) on SAYM!
We specialize in buying and re-selling your shoes. Please check us out!

http://shoesandyourmom.blogspot.com/

xxSAYM

Keith said...

These are amazing to see. Wow. I love them all. Very fantastic items. Thanks for sharing these with us. Hope you had a wonderful day. Cheers!

the freelancer's fashionblog said...

Oh wow, I've never hear of Nicholas Kirkwood before but his styles are truly quite amazing! The Nina Ricci necklace is also pretty delicious.

Have a great weekend!

Marian said...

love Both Nina and Nicholas work respectively. How stunning are Nina's pieces?! the kirkwoods are wonderfully superhero!!! They are bold,unapologetic and raring to go
honey have a lovely day!
stay blessed
xx
marian

潘云闲 said...

Strengthening exercises to enhance physical fitness! I like sports shoes! Casual Wear!Not only casual sports shoes, dress comfortable, and stylish, wearing a beautiful!
By Air Jordan shoes

Gucci Shoes said...

Great article. Excellent writing. I love to read articles that are informative, Thanks again for a nice site.

Retro Jordan said...

Luckily to enter your blog and read your article. I have lots of feeling after sharing your blog. Of course, I also welcome you can come to my website. Good luck! Thank you!

http://www.jildorshoes.com said...

I put together a little collage of my new found shoe designer that I think will soon take place of many others.

Wholesale Fashion Handbags said...

These are fabulous! Those shoes are to die for!