Friday, June 26, 2009

Farewell


Michael Jackson
1958-2009
Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

When I got the news that one of the world's greatest performers had passed, I was sitting in my living room, drawing one of my children's illustrations. My friend's son called me and asked if I had heard that Michael Jackson had died. Immediately I said no, I hadn't. My mind started reeling and I quickly convinced myself that this was some terrible hoax, perpetrated by a very sad and cruel nimrod who had nothing better to do. I began to repeat to myself "this can't be true, this can't be true." I simply couldn't wrap my brain around the thought of Michael Jackson being gone. Just last night (Wednesday) I had heard that he was preparing for another tour of 50 cities, and that he planned on working with a personal trainer to get in shape for the extensive itinerary.

Now he's gone. Just like that. The self-proclaimed King of Pop is no longer among his adoring fans, at least not physically. He'll forever live on in our memories, in spite of the strange and eccentric turn his life took in his later years. For me, he'll forever be that sweet, yet extremely talented kid who led his brothers to stardom and gave me my first taste of a real concert. I'll never forget being in the Olympia Stadium, on Grand River Ave in Detroit, with thousands of screaming teen-aged girls (that night I learned I could "holla" with the best of them). My poor mother endured a noise I'm sure she could never have imagined possible, as she watched me climb onto my chair and transform into this unrecognizable screaming banshee of a child.

Then there was the night Michael Jackson showed us how to walk on the moon without ever boarding a space ship (though he did transport us to another world). In one evening, he changed the course of entertainment and the face of fashion for future generations to come. During his magnificently memorable performance on Motown's 25 Anniversary Special, Michael convinced us that flooded pants were no longer dorky and that wearing a matching set of gloves was passe.

Yes, there's no doubt about it, Michael Jackson changed our lives forever. His creative genius remains unrivaled in the world of entertainment.

It's no secret that in recent years, Michael had experienced his own personal journey into the land of the strange and frightfully odd. There were many facets to the man in the mirror. Some may choose to dwell on the wildly eccentric Michael. I, on the other hand, choose to remember the monumentally talented Michael that brought joy and excitement to his fans around the world. He gave us a brand new dance, taught us that mediocrity was not an option, and caused many a fledgling entertainer to stretch him or herself beyond the normal perimeters of what was once considered entertainment.

Thanks Michael, for that night long ago, my own personal date with you. Though I stood in the midst of thousands, you made me feel like it was all just for me. You will truly be missed.

9 comments:

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-very tragic, sad news and a very lovely moving post my dear-I hope he can now rest in peace.

The Seeker said...

So sad, I'm still in shock.
An icon desapears and some referencies of my youth.
May he find the peace it seems he didn't while here.
RIP MJ!!!!

Lovely tribute, darling!
Lots of love to U

xoxo

Marian said...

what a moving tribute my darling! I wish I had seen him live. He was truely as consumate performer and entertainer.
May his soul rest in peace.
Have a blessed weekend dear.
muah x
Marian.

Cheryl Lynn said...

Thank you ladies, so much. I don't really think that his death has sunk in just yet. The only sure thing is that he will truly be missed.

You all have a lovely and wonderful weekend.

Danz said...

Hey Cheryl, this is such a beautifully written and moving tribute to MJ. Although we know that anyone can die at any time, I think most of us were still in a state of disbelief when we learned of his passing. He was an extremely talented entertainer and he will definitely be missed by people all around the world.
On another note, I'd like to thank you for your kind and encouraging comments on my posts. I alwys appreciate it :)
Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

TheGlamorousEccentric said...

he was such an inspiration to us all

Cheryl Lynn said...

Thanks so much, Danz. Yes, he will be missed. I'm listening to "Don't Stop til you Get Enough" right now on VH1's tribute.

TheGlamourousEccentric: Thank you so much for dropping by. He was definitely an inspiration.

Giovanna said...

Hi Cheryl! Thank you for this beautiful post! It really touched my heart. I'm still in shock about MJ early loss. Im a fan of him, and I had the hope to see him in a concert this year, I've always wanted to see him performing and I feel very sad for that, however, he left me a lot of beautiful memories to treasure, he was part of my childhood and made me smile so many times with his music and amazing talent.
Thank you for visiting me and for the kind comments.
I also wanted to let you know that you have an award waiting in my blog, come and check it out :)
Thanks
Giovanna
www.bohomarket.blogspot.com

Marian said...

darling hoping your weekend was delish!
muah x
marian