Saturday, January 17, 2009

Celebrity Showcase: New Hollywood Embraces Old Hollywood Glamor

Hello, my Bellas. Hope you all are having a wonderful (and much warmer) weekend.

One of my favorite things to write about (other than shoes, of course) is the return of Old Hollywood Glamor. I love the likes of Betty Davis, Joan Crawford, Lena Horne, Veronica Lake, and Audrey Hepburn showing up on 21st Century runways and red carpets. So after watching the Fashion Police oooh and aaah over red carpet successes, and slice and dice red carpet disasters at the Golden Globes, I decided to see who else had a best dressed list. Wonderful for me, I get regular email alerts from Essence.com. I immediately narrowed down their Best Dressed Women of 2008 to my favorites. These beauties reminded me the most of Old Hollywood Glamor with an edge. Beautiful, sultry, sophisticated and Gla-Mor-ous! Take a gander and see if you agree with Essence's Winner for last year's best dressed as much as I do.

Enjoy!

Elegant and ethereal!

Selita Ebanks
Photo courtesy of essence.com

I think Thandie Newton is positively adorable.

Thandie Newton
Photo courtesy of essence.com

A Picture is worth a thousand words. Nuff said.

Halle Berry
Photo courtesy of essence.com

Simply Stunning!

Jurnee Smollett
Photo courtesy of essence.com

Finally, the right way to wear a sequined gown.
When the dress is the thing,
leave off the bling. Fantastic!

Kerry Washington
Photo courtesy of essence.com

Wow! So this is what happens when you embrace
those curves. Instant head turner!

Queen Latifah
Photo courtesy of essence.com

Sophisticated elegance and a fresh look for
the White House.

Michelle Obama
Photo courtesy of essence.com

AND THE WINNER IS...

Words cannot describe...but I'll try anyway.
This look is amazing. For such a youngun' this talented
songstress has truly channeled Old Hollywood Glamor.
Fashion foward color, 40's Hollywood hair, and beautifully
constructed design, this ensemble can't be beat.
Kudos to Rihanna, winner of Esssence's Best Dressed
Women of 2008. I concur!

Rihanna
Photo courtesy of essence.com

1 comment:

K at Blog Goggles said...

Love this post! I'm obsessed with Kerry Washington's look. Only wish I could pull it off as well :)