Monday, September 29, 2008

Shoe News: Designer Manolo Blahnik Honored (Yet again); Models take the plunge on the Catwalk


Photo courtesy of Style.com

Hello all my loverlees. Hope you had a wonderful first of the week.

Well, anyone who is remotely connected to the fashion world probably knows about the mishaps in Paris and Milan during Fashion Week . I'm sure I'm really late with this, but I just couldn't believe some of the shenanigans that occurred on the catwalk.

Stateside: First, the important stuff. The man Manolo Blahnik was honored yet again when he received the Rodeo Drive Walk of Style Award (interesting in a place where mostly everybody drives). Still talent is talent, and clearly, a career that has lasted over 30 years is proof that Blahnik has it oozing from his pores.

The eclectic shoe designer was honored on Thursday in Beverly Hills where Two Rodeo Drive was alive with the likes of such celebrities as Nicky Hilton, Lucy Liu and China Chow, daughter of famed restauranteur, Michael (Mr.) Chow and the late, iconoclastic model/designer, Tina Chow.

Adding to the celebration will be a special outdoor exhibit, running through October 5th, of the designer's sketches and images of his shoes on Rodeo Drive and it's neighboring streets. Kudos to the man of many decades, Manolo Blahnik, Sultan of Style.

Now, on to the preposterous.

Over there: Shoes that doubled as calisthenic balancing acts made the trip down the catwalk a circus to remember during Fashion Week in Milan. Prada's latest fashion extravaganza will forever remain a staple in many a fashionista's subconscious, not necessarily because of the clothing, but because the shoes beared a stark resemblance to steroidal stilt walking at Caribbean Carnival.


Style.com


One of the culprits

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the innovative talents of Prada and her peers, and I love a torture stiletto as much as the next gal, but come on, these shoes were no less than ridiculous, not to mention dangerous. Especially to a model trying to carry a shoe that must have felt like an anchor at the end of such a needle thin leg.


Style.com

Adding insult to injury (no pun intended, well maybe just a little) is the YouTube video of the laughing reporters who could barely catch their breath as a model went down just before her exit from the Catwalk during Fashion Week in Paris. Not only did she fall once, but twice, the latter being the worst, with the wobbling and caving in of the ankles before the final plummet to the floor.



FA'SHOE'NISTA loves the interesting, the strange, and the extraordinary. Forgive us for stopping short of embracing the ridiculously dangerous heights of what is passing for fashionable shoes on the runways. While the Art of building the perfect shoe is a noble endeavor, I prefer not to wear anything that could cause a nose bleed from the altitude.

4 comments:

Shell said...

I feel sorry for the model. I know she was doing her best. I love high heel shoes from afar. I like to see them on others. I prefer small heeled shoes, I know that is so boring. I love the beauty and style of Manolo Blahnik's shoes regardless.

Jon said...

I am interested in hiring you as a writer for our site. I tried to find a contact button on your site... email mail me please jon{at}jbandme{dot}com Thanks.

Cammila said...

These shoes make it seem like he's blurring into self-parody. It's like Robert DiNero in Analyze This -- where he's basically making fun of his own amazing career playing gangsters in movies like Goodfellas.

Except Manolo doesn't seem to be in on his own joke. :(

Laurel said...

My loverleee! Have I missed you so. I'm so sorry Miss. C, school and work have been absolutely annihilating my life, but I can't complain too much as I'm done in a little over two months (craaazy). How the heck are you?!

I was completely astonished by the reporter laughing at the model in the video, I wish people could imagine the stress of the catwalk. It would be such a challenge! Muccia was quoted to say she was changing the heel height for retail, which helps a bit!

I hope all is well, love!! Miss you tons! xoxo