Thursday, August 28, 2008

We have a Winner!


Photo courtesy of Footwear News

What seems eons ago, I posted about a shoe design contest sponsored by Footwear News and Nine West called the FN Shoestar challenge. At that time there were 4 finalists, Ryan Baker, Melissa Cordero, Melanie Maggio, and Karen Hsieh. Well, after 6 months, a winner has finally been chosen. Melanie Maggio, 21, of Harrisonburg, VA.

In the final round of competition, Melanie and runner up, Ryan Baker were asked to each design a small collection that included 6 sketches of which one was to be physically implemented for retail purposes. Retailer, Jeffrey Kalinsky, (the one to impress) joined judges, Michael Atmore (FN), Fred Allard (Nine West), and Ellen Goldstein (FIT). Requirements were to bring a fresh perspective to the designer's style while simultaneously staying consistant with his or her vision.

When the dust cleared, it was Maggio's high fashion footwear that convinced the judges of her ability to please the customer.

For her efforts and extraordinary talent, Maggio received a Swarovski-studded award at a FFANY industry party held in New York, and a position as junior designer for Nine West. Second place winner, Ryan Baker received $1500.00.

Congrats to Melanie Maggio for a job well done!


Melanie Maggio
Footwear News


The winning design

7 comments:

Sharon Rose said...

Wow, what a unique and unusual design-well done to Melanie!!

Danz said...

Oh Melanie did a great job! Very modern design with a sporty feel and I love the colour scheme. Congrats to her!

Thanks for your comment Cheryl. How's the project coming along? I hope everything is going well with you. Speak to you soon :)

Cheryl Lynn said...

Sharon Rose: I think that Melanie's design is very fashion forward.

Danz: You're welcome, Sweetheart. The project is going a little slow because I'm back to full time work, but I will work on it tomorrow since I have Labor Day off. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Hope your weekend was fabulous.

Imelda Matt said...

God I forgot about this competition...next time they need to televise it!

Cheryl Lynn said...

Imelda Matt: I agree wholeheartedly. I think this would definitely be worth watching.

Have a great holiday.

Francis Girard said...

wow - what an amazing opportunity for her. well done to Melanie. i will have a glass of bubbly in her honour. xf

Cammila said...

Wow, I have to say that this design isn't really like anything I've seen before! The convergence of styles are really cool. :)